Magnolias

Magnolias

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sunrise Surprise, 10 July 2014

This morning I woke up in the pre-dawn gray light and thought, "Oh good, I have another hour to sleep; I hope I don't start thinking about things that keep me awake."

But as I got re-snuggled down into my pillow, I heard through the open window a little thump.  Thump.  Thump.  "Uh, that's an unusual sound...but I'm ignoring it and going back to sleep."

Thump.  Thump.

"Fine."  I threw back the blankets to peer through the window, and saw my rabbit skittering around the rabbit run, ears up, nose twitching, breathing fast, and pausing every so often to thump his hind feet.  He was afraid of something.

Compassionate owner that I am, I threw on a sweatshirt and flip-flops and went out to investigate.  Sure enough, I could hear something rustling around in the thick hedge against the neighbor's back fence, but I couldn't see anything.  Raccoon?  'Possum?  Rat?  We don't have a lot of wildlife in our city neighborhood, but we clearly have something that scares a rabbit.  So I scooped up the bunny, put him safe and sound in his little hutch, and threw a few rocks in the direction I'd heard the noise.  What a hero I am.

I turned around to go back into the house and crawl under my still-warm blankets, when I looked up and saw it.  Not the animal.  The sky.  More specifically, the sunrise.

Going back to bed was forgotten.  I stood in my pjs and flip-flops on the wet grass and stared open-mouthed at the incredible display of beauty above me.  Thank You, thank You, I breathed over and over.

Then I ran to get the camera of course.  So from me to you, here's a little reminder that God loves us and makes beautiful things.  I'm going to have a thankful day today.





2 comments:

  1. wow... loved that you shared, I feel inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! And now I'm gonna go outside and see if I can catch a glimpse of the moon. :-)

      Delete