Magnolias

Magnolias

Friday, February 14, 2014

The Wheels Are Turning, 14 February 2014

Today I rode my bike for the first time in years a while.  I was inspired to ride the 20 minutes to work so that I could get some exercise out of the morning before my kids got home from their overnight stay at the FILs', and it did feel good.  (Except on my sitter.)

The funny thing about being inspired to ride today is that I've spent my free time over the last 24 hours looking at car prices!  Jay and I are thinking and praying about what to do with the extra income I'm getting this year, and while our trusty 2004 Honda Civic is still trusty, it needs new paint, and I'm tired of not having cruise control or power windows, and I drive the kids around so much that I'd really rather drive something that looks sexy.  (Let's be honest here.)

But I dunno.  Spending thousands of dollars on something we don't need right now is a big decision.  Last night Jay and I watched an episode of a series on the history of Britain that covered millions in India and Ireland dying of starvation during the mid-Nineteenth Century, and I'm asking myself, "What am I doing to aid the starving of today's world?  How would having a new(er) car benefit the world?  So I'm grumpy driving my current car.  So what?"

And yet I'm considering taking the Civic to get a shampoo today and see if I get any bites on selling it...and a car dealership just sent me some quotes...and I can imagine myself zipping around town in a fuel-efficient, comfortable car that doesn't turn heads because of its ugliness...and I just don't know.

Don't think there's one right answer to this--although I'm sure some people would say there definitely is a right answer, one way or the other.

Gonna keep praying.  Want to do what's best.

2 comments:

  1. A sexy bike (that fits your entire family -- no joke!) would be a much cheaper, and healthier option if you're looking for options. http://yubabikes.com/ for a great family bike example. You can even carry your couch on it. If you wanted to. But that wouldn't seem sexy (to some).
    Or a different kind of sexy (that seats 4 with seatbelts in the bucket): http://www.madsencycles.com/
    Cars are good too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's thinking outta the box! Thanks for sending that idea, Heather! Probably not the best option for our needs at this point, since I drive an average of 40 miles each school day (and that accounts for carpooling). That would be a lot of hours on a bicycle seat. :-p

      Delete