Magnolias

Magnolias

Saturday, May 5, 2012

There's a Ring to It, 05 May 2012

Today, yesterday, the day before, and all the days since last Friday I have felt a teeny bit closer to Mom.

Why?  Because I've been wearing one of her rings.  After I heart-breakingly lost my ring from Mom, my dear sister Kay sent me one that she hasn't ended up wearing, and I basically haven't taken it off since.  It's a Black Hills gold design of a rose surrounded by a tender grape vine, and it lays smoothly on my finger, not grazing door jams when I brush by too closely.  I remember seeing Mom wear this ring while we grew up, and it reminds me of her young-mom self.  Kinda like me.

If I were a photographer with a cool camera that could take non-blurry close-ups, I'd post a picture.  (Tried it.)  You can imagine the picture here.

This entire afternoon and most of this evening were spent wearing my Wedding Coordinator hat (it goes well with the Black Hills gold ring).  I might have to expand the label of that hat to Wedding and Destination Coordinator.  I don't know how most people do things, but my cute little large family does things together, and we don't like spending money on hotels...which means we have to find free beds for everyone.  Things are complicated a bit by the fact that less than half my family lives in the wedding city.

But by the end of today, everyone now has a bed--or a patch of carpet--reserved for Wedding Week.  What made today's coordinating fun, though, was that I ended up speaking with my dad and each of my siblings on the phone this afternoon!  That was a treat.

And even though I didn't get to speak with my mom today, I know she'd be proud of my efforts to care for the family...and I get to think of her every time I see the ring on my finger.

2 comments:

  1. I simply LOVE the description of "My Family at Large". Smiled and smiled as I read it. Especially like the choice of Elle. Reads like a magazine cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to write! :-) I realized it's inevitable that I'll be referring so some or all of my family at some point or other, so it seemed smart to list everyone.

      Delete