Magnolias

Magnolias

Friday, November 30, 2012

GUILTY, 30 November 2012

For those of you in suspense, this is a quick note to say that we did get a verdict on Jay's brother yesterday: Guilty of murder in the second degree for stabbing his mom to death ten times with a kitchen knife.

As Jay put it, we are relieved that guilt was found, yet disappointed that it wasn't found in the first degree.  However, sentencing is very similar for both ("15-25 years to life" in prison), so it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Sentencing will not happen until the sanity phase of the trial is completed.  The defense takes the floor now and tries to prove that he was insane (unaware of his actions) at the time of the crime.  Good luck with that.  But you know what?  If he's found to have been insane, then he goes to a state mental hospital for probably the rest of his life...and an actually-sane person who faked his way through, living in a facility with actually-insane people--sounds like a nightmare to me.  I'd probably rather choose prison.

At any rate, I have a lot to say about all of this...I just don't know what it is yet.  Jay and I get to take off to our 1930-Something hotel this weekend and I can't wait to relax and start figuring out how I feel.  Deeeep sigh.

We feel the love...thank you from the bottom of my heart.

2 comments: