Magnolias

Magnolias

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

One More Sweet

One of my dear friends from college gave me more than a lifelong friendship--she gave me her pancake recipe.  This is not and will not be a food blog, but today I made her recipe again and am continually amazed at how superior these pancakes are to any others I've had.

It would be selfish not to share it with you.

Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

Mix:
1 c. buttermilk [or make sour milk by pouring 1 T.  of white vinegar into a 1-cup measure and filling the rest of the way with milk]
2 T. vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 T. [1 1/2 teas.] sugar

Add and mix until moistened:
1 c. wheat flour [actually, her recipe calls for 3/4 c. wheat and 1/4 c. white; it's good both ways]
1 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. salt

Cook on medium-hot griddle or pan.  Serves two moderately hungry adults [or, as I've found, 1 moderately hungry adult and two hungry little boys].

Sprinkling fresh or frozen blueberries over the cakes after they're poured on the griddle is yum too.

While we're at it, I'll give you non-purists the cheap-cheat-maple-syrup recipe from my mom (beats the pants off of any fake syrups from the store).

Microwave Maple Syrup

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 c. packed brown sugar, 1 c. white sugar, 1 c. water, 1/2 teas. maple flavoring, and 1/4 teas. vanilla flavoring.  Microwave at 100% power until boiling, stirring occasionally, and then cook at 50% power until moderately thickened.  Store leftovers in a jar in the fridge.

Mmm.  Only 10 more hours until breakfast...

No comments:

Post a Comment